Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
Additional Time 1 hour
Total Time 2 hours 10 minutes
- 1(9") store-bought Pie crust (or Homemade)
- 6-7 cups sliced Apples (1/2" Thick)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
caramel 25-26 caramel
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup brown & a l sugar & extra for sprinkling on the crust
- 1/2 cup butter (softened)
- 1 egg (egg wash)
- Prepare the premade pie crust according to the package instructions.
- Over low heat, blend the caramel and heavy cream in a small pan until melted and smooth. Use 1/2 cup in the filling and save the rest for drizzling.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (or 200°C). Combine all the filling ingredients in a large bowl (except the caramel) until blended.
- Allow the mixture to sit for 10 minutes before adding the caramel. stir to combine and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and salt.
- Use either a fork or pastry cutter to blend the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles crumbs of various sizes.
Assembling the pie
- Using a spoon, scrape all the filling into the pie shell and use the streusel to cover the apple filling.
- Brush the topping with egg wash, sprinkle with sugar and bake for 40-45 minutes.
- At the 20 minute mark, check the pie for signs of rapid browning, if this occurs, use tin foil to cover the pie top and continue baking.
- Once the crust and topping are golden brown and the apple filling is bubbling and is tender, the pie is done.
- Allow the pie to cool about 2-3 hours before serving. Once cool, drizzle with the remainder of the caramel sauce, slice, and serve.