- 2 storebought ready to roll pie crust (or homemade if you prefer)
- $ egg yolk plus 1 egg (for egg wash)
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- using non stick cooking spray, grease a mini muffin pan.
- Roll out the pie crust on a clean and flour-dusted surface. Using a 4-inch flower-shaped cookie cutter, cut out as many flowers as possible, then gather the dough pieces, reroll the dough, and repeat the cutting process.
- Press the dough flowers into the mini muffin cups and poke the bottoms with a fork. Apply egg wash to the edges of the crust and blind bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove the mini crust from the oven and allow them to cool, you prep the filling. Use the tip of a knife loosen the crusts in the pan and set aside.
- Whisk the 4 egg yolks and set aside. In a medium saucepan, over low heat, combine the sugar, water and salt while stirring constantly, then allow this to boil for about a minute, then remove it from the heat.
- While whisking constantly, stream half of the sugar mixture into the egg yolk. Pour this mixture back into the saucepan while stirring and return it to the stove over low flame for 3 minutes.
- Remove the mixture from the heat, stir in the lemon zest, lemon juice, and butter (1 tbsp at a time). Spoon this mixture into each mini flower crust (almost to the top), dust with powdered sugar and serve. The sugar on the lemon custard will dissolve, leaving only dusted flower petals.