See the full article here.
Yield: 8 Servings
Grandma’s Southern-Style Chicken n’ Dumplings
Chicken and dumpling simmered in a tasty seasoned broth, this southern style comfort food makes for a delicious one pot meal!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 1 hour
Total Time 1 hour 15 minutes
Chicken and Broth
- 1 whole chicken (thawed, cleaned and innards removed)
- 1/2 onion, celery and carrot (mixed)
- Wtaer (enough to submerge the chicken inside a stock pot )
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp shortening
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp all purpose flour
Final Soup Ingredients
- 2 large bouillon cubes
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup water and 2 tbsp flour (combined)
- a dash of salt and pepper to taste
- Place the chicken and vegetables in the stockpot, submerge them in water, and bring to a boil.
- Continue cooking for about an hour until the chicken is tender, then transfer it to a large bowl to cool.
- Strain the broth and return it to the stock pot. once the chicken has cooled down, remove the skin and cut into small pieces.
- Combine 21/2 cups of chicken pieces into the broth, reheat to a boil, then add bouillon cubes, pepper and salt for flavor.
- While the chicken and broth are cooking, make the dumplings. Use a pastry blender to cut the shortening into 1 cup of flour, then add the hot water and remainder of the flour into the mixture.
- Stir the mixture until it becomes a dough firm enough to roll. Divide the dough to thirds and allow this to rest for 10 minutes.
- Dust a clean work surface with flour and roll out each the 3 dough portions into 1/4 inch thick sheets (Coat the rolling pin in flour to prevent sticking).
- Use a pizza cutter or knife to cut the dough sheets into 1 inch strips and drop them in the boiling broth(a couple at a time), add butter to the broth and continue cooking.
- Dissolce 2 tbsp of flour in 1/4 of water and stir into the broth as a thickener. Cook this for another 10 minutes on high heat until the dumplings are cooked.
- add salt and pepper to taste. Serve this hot in a bowl with a side of french bread (or any bread of your choice) and enjoy.