See the full article here.
Yield: 4 servings
Japanese Souffle Pancakes
Souffle Pancakes, the thick and fluffy Japanese delights you simply must try!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
- 6 tbs cake flour
- 2 1/2 tbs skim milk
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tbs mayonnaise (full fat)
- 2 large eggs (egg whites separated and chilled)
- 3 tbs white sugar
- Combine the milk, vanilla, mayonnaise, and egg yolk in a medium bowl, then sift in the flour, and whisk until smooth and light yellow in color.
- Using a clean stand mixer with the whisk attachment, beat the chilled egg whites and sugar on high speed for 2-3 minutes until it forms a stiff peak.
- Add the meringue to the yolk batter in 3 parts. Gently and carefully fold in each addition until evenly combined and streak-free.
- To a large non-stick skillet, add 2 ring molds and lightly grease the interiors and bottom of the pan.
- Heat the skillet over low heat and once the oil and rings are hot, add the batter 1/2 to 2/3 in each mold.
- Add 1/2 tablespoon of water to the pan, away from the pancakes, and cover the pan. Cook for 3-4 minutes then carefully flip the pancakes in the mold and cook for another 2-3 minutes until the pancakes are golden on both sides.
- Transfer to a plate and carefully push them until released from the molds. Continue with the remainder of the batter. Serve warm with syrup or the toppings of your choice.